by Barbara Meeks
As the weather warms up it is time to get outdoors.
One way that more and more people are enjoying the great outdoors is through kayaking. Kayaking is reported to be one of the fastest growing sports in North America, according to a recent article in Time magazine.
The best news is that kayaking can be enjoyed in this area! The City of League City recently opened three kayak launch sites along Clear Creek. Clear Creek is a scenic bayou that forms the boundary between Galveston and Harris Counties. The area of Clear Creek between Friendswood and Walter Hall Park has heavy vegetation that provides a natural habitat for many small mammals and birds.
Here are a few statistics:
- There are nearly 8 million regular kayakers in the U.S.
- The number of kayakers has more than doubled over the past 10 years.
- The numbers are almost evenly divided between men (55%) and women (45%).
- Fastest growth has been among women.
Do you wonder why kayaking so popular?
- It is a user-friendly sport, even for a complete novice.
- It appeals to outdoor enthusiasts of all ages.
- It is an enjoyable way to connect with nature.
- Anyone can reach a level of competence for that feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.
- Today’s kayaks are lighter and easier to carry, handle, maneuver and transport.
- An abundance of paddle trails are cropping up across the region and the state of Texas.
Another reason for the growing popularity is simply the basic appeal of the sport itself. Kayak enthusiasts point to the solitude, peace and quiet offered by kayaking. Others enjoy the fact that they can combine it with other pastimes such as fishing, fitness, photography and socializing.
The easiest way to see if kayaking is for you is to rent one before you buy and give it a try.
Kayaks are safe but it is always best to take a friend any time you go on the water. Single person kayaks or tandem kayaks are available and paddle clubs are springing up all over and they offer training and group outings.
A few hours on the water can be one of the most peaceful and stress relieving activities anyone would enjoy. If you are ready to try kayaking it is a great way to re-connect with nature and get a little exercise!